Tuesday 21 October 2008

Someone I know will tell me ...

I was recently listening to a radio programme. At one point in his delivery the presenter was not very sure about something he said, and so, he remarked "Someone I know will tell me". I took some time to think about this remark because I was not really sure about the meaning of what he said. What did he mean? Was he implying that somone he was acquainted with would tell him? Or, on the other hand, was he suggesting that he had the knowledge that someone would tell him? The interesting problem is, of course, how should the written sentence be punctuated or modified in order to remove the ambiguity that it embeds?

Of course, a slight re-wording of the sentence would remove any possible mis-interpretations. Here are some examples of disambiguated sentences that the broadcaster might have used:
I know someone who will tell me.
Someone who I know will tell me.
Someone will tell me I know.


No comments: